Monday, November 01, 2004

November 1 - Happy New Year's Day

OK. First.

Go vote. Even if you disagree with what I'm about to say (and you will if you're a conservative, I suspect).

Personally, I'm going to vote for Kerry and Edwards, not because I think they're perfect, and not because Edwards is a hottie with a gorgeous accent (or not entirely), but because I think Kerry is the lesser of two evils.

I am appalled by the total unconcern shown by Bush and his advisors for the well-being of American citizens (those, that is, who are not billionaires) and for the responsible stewardship of our natural resources. I also note that, billions of dollars and thousands of lives thrown down a rat-hole later, Osama Bin Laden, the man primarily responsible for one of the most despicable acts in history, the 9/11 attacks, is STILL AT LARGE.

At the end of Clinton's administration I had a decent job and health insurance, I had lost my child-of-the-1980's foreboding of nuclear war, and I did not know what the word "outsourcing" meant. If someone had suggested I might have to take off a pair of Teva sandals in order to be allowed through an airport security check, I would have stared in wonder.

These things have all changed now.

I don't blame Bush for all of that -- for example, he didn't create the dot-com bubble -- but he sure hasn't done anything to improve matters. I feel the war in Iraq is a colossal mistake and that Bush's environmental policy doesn't even deserve the term 'neglect'; it's more like an attack.

But, anyway. Vote. Whatever you believe in.

Today, I went hiking at Wilder Ranch and saw four coyotes, a buck, a Loggerhead Shrike (my first), several Red-Tailed Hawks and a White-Tailed Kite.

I also got my free copy of the book CLOAKED IN SHADOW, which contains my story, "The Elf Knight and Lady Isabelle".

This is the first story of mine that has appeared in physical print, as opposed to online. I'm very happy with it. I haven't read the other stories yet, but the introduction is by Drew Hayes. Very cool. I encourage everybody to run out and buy a copy now.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home