Friday, September 09, 2005

New Books This Month

These are this month's new releases of significance, to me anyway...

Jeffrey Ford has a new novel out called GIRL IN THE GLASS.

A new nature writing book called EATING STONE focuses on desert bighorns.

Robin Hobb's SHAMAN'S CROSSING puts an appealing character in terrible danger. For some reason, this one really got to me -- I'm really worried for Nevare's sake and not sure how I'm going to wait for the sequel.

LOOKING FOR JAKE collects stories by China Mieville. I haven't read it yet, but I suspect his literary style is ideally suited to short stories.

MELUSINE, by Sarah Monette, is an uneven but generally entertaining first novel that does the most important thing right: interesting characters, horrendous torments, mix and stir.

ANGELS IN THE GLOOM is the newest World War I book by Anne Perry. Unusually, Perry has gone from a formulaic author (although I always enjoyed her more or less identical Victorian mysteries) to one who takes more risks and goes more places. I don't always agree with the moral conclusions her novels take, but I enjoy reading them.

CIRCLE OF THE MOON is the upcoming new novel by Barbara Hambly. It's the sequel to SISTERS OF THE RAVEN.

WIDOW OF THE SOUTH and THE MARCH (the latter is the Doctorow, not the Brooks) are two Civil War novels I look forward to eagerly. THAT ANVIL OF OUR SOULS, fairly recent, is a predictably enjoyable Civil War steamboat novel by David Poyer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home