Friday, October 28, 2005

Handicapping the Breeders' Cup

Stop laughing -- I heard that.

OK, so the turf is going to be soggy, and the dirt ought to have at least some wet in it, though how much I don't know.

As I don't have past performances for the Juvenile races I can make it quick: Adieu and Folklore seem like the obvious favorites in the Fillies and Stevie Wonderboy and Sorcerer's Stone have impressed me most in the Juvenile. First Samurai will be the favorite but hasn't shown me the kind of foot speed I'd want to see. Not throwing him out, though.

The Classic:
With Rock Hard Ten gone, I have Borrego and Saint Liam picked. These are not entirely comfortable picks, with Borrego being a closer and Saint Liam questionable at the distance. Will Oratorio take to the dirt? Will my old sentimental favorite Perfect Drift finally get the big one? Or will Suave, who has speed and likes the wet, go all the way? I'm also not totally ruling out Flower Alley (one bad race isn't the end of the world) or Sun King (who is slow, but consistent), or A Bit O'Gold, who is being overlooked but doesn't look impossible to me. I don't expect Starcraft to win, but I could root for him after the snide reaction he's getting -- I think it's great sportsmanship on the part of his connections to run him here.

In the Fillies and Mares Turf, I like Megahertz -- I don't see how one could not, with her record and her turn of foot -- but also Wend, and Intercontinental, the psycho mare who's been a big favorite of mine for a while and who's one of the only ones in the field with speed. Whether any of these like soft turf I don't know. Wonder Again, who does, would have to regain some past form here. Ouija Board and Favorable Terms, well, maybe.

In the Sprint, it's impossible not to root for Lost in the Fog, but should he get caught up in a speed duel -- and why are there some totally unqualified horses in there that don't even have stakes earnings? -- I think Taste of Paradise is most likely to get there. Silver Train is the best of the remaining speed and Gygistar of the remaining closers.

In the Mile, I like Leroidesanimaux, along with the rest of the world, but I also like Artie Schiller as a close stalker who could catch The King if he falters -- and I'm not convinced that Artie has been hanging in his recent races; I think he has a pretty good chance. I also like Host a lot as a closer. Sand Springs would be higher on my list were she not a filly -- she turns back to her preferred distance here -- and Gorella would actually be my second choice were she not a three-year-old filly.

In the Distaff I like Ashado and Stellar Jayne as the most accomplished contenders, but there's always the possibility of a speed duel, and to come from off the pace I like In the Gold, who will be a big longshot, a lot. I also give Happy Ticket a chance.

The Turf is hard, because I don't know what to make of the Euros, who all seem to have had awesome records... earlier in the year. I'm tentatively picking Better Talk Now even though I've never really cared for him, because I can't ignore his record, along with the magnificent Shakespeare, and English Channel who may be closer to the pace than the other two. Bago and Azamour look about equal among the Euros, but Bago is said to like soft turf and Azamour not. Fourty Niners Son and Leprechaun Kid (my sentimental favorite as a front-runner with heart who is also grey) are good longshots.

As for what will actually happen tomorrow, I only know I plan to sit in front of my TV and watch it. That's the only thing that I can say for sure.