Sunday, April 16, 2006

Paradise and back

At Joshua Tree last week Scott's Orioles, brilliant yellow and black, were singing in Black Rock Canyon and cute, portly Gambel's Quails gave their odd cries. A male kestrel took wing from the top of a Joshua tree and blurred into flying light. This is an hour and a half away from me. I have to remember that.

In the Santa Cruz Mountains, four hundred miles north, Allen's Hummingbirds flashed their molten copper throats, Northern Rough-Winged Swallows moved like silk over a pond, yellow irises stood up from the water's surface, rain fell, Wilson's Warblers the color of the irises sang aggressively in chamise brush, a Least Tern stood on a cliff over the mad ocean.

I'm back from spring break. I don't know why I find it so hard to reconcile with the place where I live now. I don't know why I feel beleaguered here, endangered.

The "Offroaders for Bush" bumper sticker I saw on a truck this morning illustrates part of it, no doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home