Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Breeder's Cup

In the Juvenile Fillies, my pick Folklore got there, but the best performance may have been that of Wild Fit who dropped far back early, encountered traffic and nearly ran down the winner anyway. She looks like one who might improve as she grows into her legs.

In the Juvenile, my pick Stevie Wonderboy seemed significantly best, with Henny Hughes showing he's not as much of a sprinter as thought and First Samurai a bit dull, perhaps because of antics in the gate. Sorcerer's Stone disappointed.

I was ecstatic with Intercontinental's win in the Filly and Mare Turf. Wend didn't do much, and neither did Megahertz (perhaps because of the ground), but I've liked Intercontinental forever.

Lost in the Fog, of course, was very disappointing. Now everyone who's been snide about him will preen and say they told us so. The early pace was fast, but he's run those kind of fractions before. Hopefully he comes back and runs well next year. Meanwhile, Silver Train was an impressive winner with my closer pick, Taste of Paradise, a very good second.

In the Mile, Artie Schiller won and Le Roi Des Animaux was a good second, so no shame there. The race was marred by the fatal breakdown of Funfair.

In the Distaff, Ashado proved as vulnerable as I feared she would be, with little closing kick, ending up a respectable but not outstanding third; Stellar Jayne looked a bit out of condition and finished fourth, while In the Gold closed to be fifth. The winner, Pleasant Home, came out of nowhere for me and I'm sure for many others. She certainly looked impressive drawing away from the field.

The Turf was another knock to my handicapping skills, with none of my picks finishing better than fourth, or was it fifth. Shakespeare did not handle the ground. Shirocco, who wasn't even one of the more likely Euros in my pre-race estimation, won handily and is an especially pretty horse. Leprechaun Kid never made the lead, perhaps didn't like the ground and disappointed.

In the Classic, I had the winner, Saint Liam, who was clearly best. Borrego didn't run a jump, for whatever reason. Flower Alley ran a very creditable second and I was happy to see my old favorite Perfect Drift right there in third. Suave, as expected, did show speed but stuck around only for a very minor award.

As always, it was a great day of watching beautiful horses, though this time around there were none of those electrifying, this-is-a-great-horse performances. Intercontinental (who might really like Johar. I'm just saying) and Saint Liam won't be back, and I expect Shirocco will go home but perhaps we'll see some of the others back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home